focus is providing individuals with developmental disabilities and/or mental retardation the opportunity to learn skills needed to reach their highest level of independence while insuring they experience the same privileges and opportunities enjoyed by all members of our society.
Our philosophy is to provide individuals services that address their specific needs within their own communities promoting within them a positive learning experience as classified by the Office of Mental Retardation and Developmental Disabilities (www.omr.state.ny.us). Through this person-centered approach, EDC encourages our program participants to strive to reach their potential within familiar environments.
- We BELIEVE that all members of society, with or without disabilities, are entitled to respect and equal opportunities.
- We EMPOWER our consumers to strive for their highest potential, and prepare them to deal effectively with the challenges they may face.
- We PROVIDE every service in a spirit of excellence and genuine caring.
- We PLEDGE to develop programs and provide services to hard to serve individuals, in un-served and under severed communities.
- We AIM to be a leader in providing quality, comprehensive services.
- To this end, Evelyn Douglin Center maintains a mission and purpose driven by the Protection of Individual RIGHTS, Community Awareness and Service Access, while Enhancing the Quality of Life of every individual.
- We STRIVE to build a better future for the people we serve today.